Date Night Pasta: Creamy Tomato & Spinach Penne. Valentine’s day is around the corner! If you are anything like my husband and I, then you would rather stay home than go out on a crowded night. We like to stay in and have a nice meal in the comfort of our own home, in sweatpants- of course. Pasta comes to mind when I think about a nice meal. This is such a perfect date night in dish, because it’s quick, easy, and simple yet seems fancy. Have a glass of Cab with it and you have got yourself a perfect date night in!
This pasta is simple but packed with flavor from the tomatoes, garlic, and pesto. It’s so, so creamy but doesn’t feel so heavy when eating. I made it a little spicy, but you can of course cut back on the spice according to your taste. Also if you have left overs, then reheat it in a pan and add milk so it is not so dry. Hope you all will enjoy your date night in with this pasta! Don’t forget to tag me @zheelicious if you make this. 🙂
[Read Related: Chai Chocolate Lava Cake]
Stay happy, stay hungry!
[Read Related: Open-Faced Parle-G S’mores]
- 1 box pasta of choice, (I used penne)
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp thai chilies, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp pesto (optional)
- 2 cups milk, warm
- ½ cup half n half (can use milk instead)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 tbsp red crushed pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup pasta water (the water your pasta cooked in)
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Handful of Cheese (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to the packaged direction.
- In a pan heat some oil, add garlic slices and saute for about a minute. Add thai chilies, tomato paste and cook for another minute.
- Add tomatoes cook until they are softened, about 5 minutes. Add all the spices, then slowly add the milk and half and half. Keep mixing the sauce, it should get a bit thicker.
- Add in the cooked pasta along with the pasta water.
- Add in the spinach, mix everything really well. Add cheese if using. Turn off the stove.
- Enjoy hot!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 people